The pituitary gland is a small pea-shaped endocrine gland that is located at the base of the brain. It regulates homeostasis by secreting necessary hormones into the body. It helps our body react to senses and the environment. For a detailed description of the pituitary gland go here. In energy medicine, the pituitary gland is connected to the 6th chakra and is sometimes referred to as the third eye.
Hormones from the pituitary gland regulate the following:
- Blood pressure
- Pain relief
- Sex organs
Emotionally individuals with pituitary gland imbalances often feel confused or scatter-brained and may have trouble concentrating. They may feel a lack of connection to the earth or their own body. This may be caused by some past trauma or a lack of connection to a caregiver or parent during their first few years. Where the pineal gland is our connection to the spiritual, the pituitary gland is our connection to the physical.
What can I do to help the pituitary gland function correctly?
- Apply Deep Blue or another oil containing menthol to the brow. Make sure not to get into the eyes.
- Work the pituitary gland reflex point on the foot.
- Attend a class or learn a new skill that interests you.
- Wear the color indigo.
- Participate in a yoga class or do yoga poses at home.
- Make sure you are eating enough protein and that you are consuming foods high in protein, magnesium and vitamins E and D.